Re: [exim] Address already in use error even though exim is …

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Address already in use error even though exim is working
Gabriel Harrison wrote:
>> It's there .. just have to find it
>
> It looks like exim is somehow seeing the listener on the vserver host
> machine.
>
> If I stop it on one then the other will start! I'm now confused, I thought
> any vserver was isolated from the host.
>
> What I am trying to achieve is for the vservers to only bind to localhost
> but it is this that is conflicting with the listener on the host, which is
> also localhost only.
>
> How is it that exim sees the host binding from the vserver and vise-versa
> but netstat doesn't?

Are you running exim in the host OS at all? From the few moments I was
reading about vserver it sounds like it sets up an alias interface in
the host OS to use as the network IF for the vserver. If you bind on
port 25 of the host version of the alias then the vserver will be unable
to bind to the same port on its own version of the interface .... or
that's the gist I'm getting.

ie no binding 0.0.0.0:25 on the host OS

You *may* also have to create a "localhost" for each an every vserver if
they are somehow sharing localhost. lo:0 == 127.0.0.2 etc

If you want to test all this stuff out, find something a like NetCat and
use it in listen mode to bind to ports in different places and see where
the clashes are.

I really can't see any advantage to use this vserver software in the
slightest .. it doesn't seem like a real virtual server like the ones
you can rent/buy from hosting companies. This is why I use dedicated
servers :P

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html