Re: [exim] heartbeat load balancing and exim

Author: Jeroen van Aart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] heartbeat load balancing and exim
Phil Pennock wrote:
> IMAP is a client access protocol and says nothing, niets, about the

I do know that.

> storage file-system layer semantics required. A particular
> implementation may have certain requirements. Eg, Cyrus IMAP doesn't
> play well with NFS, but that's a distinct issue.

uw-imapd Also does not play well with NFS and I believe that's not a
coincidence but the nature of a properly working imap server and the
nature of NFS lacking certain fundamental filesystem functionality.
Therefore using NFS with imap is asking for trouble.

> Exim works well with NFS provided that the client OS has decent support.
> I've used Exim for delivery into NFS-based spools and it worked great

I can imagine exim sort of working with NFS since it does not need
things like file sharing and uses plain unix fileformat. I'd still avoid it.

For a discussion about this check
http://www.mail-archive.com/imap-uw@u.washington.edu/msg00322.html and
countless other posts.

Regards,