[exim] Address already in use error even though exim is work…

Author: Gabriel Harrison
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Address already in use error even though exim is working
Hi,

I'm getting periodic errors in the paniclog that I can't track down the
cause of. I'm running exim on a Debian vserver.

The error is:

2008-03-31 08:20:59 socket bind() to port 25 for address (any IPv4) failed:
Address already in use: daemon abandoned

The symptom are very similar to
http://www.exim-users.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48217 although I'm not
restricting it to localhost.

Once the paniclog is cleared 'invoke-rc.d exim4 restart' reports no errors
and mail works.

I tried 'netstat -pa | grep smtp' as mentioned in the forum post abve and it
returns nothing at all.

Any pointers would be much appreciated, I've included the content of the
debian update-exim4.conf.conf is below.

Thanks,

Gabriel

dc_eximconfig_configtype='internet'
dc_other_hostnames='networkrailvehicles.co.uk'
dc_local_interfaces=''
dc_readhost=''
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'