Re: [exim] heartbeat load balancing and exim

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Phil Pennock
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Jeroen van Aart
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] heartbeat load balancing and exim
On 2008-03-27 at 12:06 -0700, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> Currently the mailstore, with its own MTA, is on a seperate server
> outside the mx records (it also has imap). I am not convinced about
> introducing a seperate mailstore on an NFS server or such. And imap
> wouldn't work very well with it, unless it'd be running locally on the
> mailstore (I doubt a netapp SAN can do that). NFS for example lacks
> certain filesystem mechanisms imap needs, so for example opening an imap
> mailbox shared would break. Anyways, it's that server I am brainstorming
> about.

IMAP is a client access protocol and says nothing, niets, about the
storage file-system layer semantics required. A particular
implementation may have certain requirements. Eg, Cyrus IMAP doesn't
play well with NFS, but that's a distinct issue.

Exim works well with NFS provided that the client OS has decent support.
I've used Exim for delivery into NFS-based spools and it worked great
even when the client OS support was ... not as robust as might have been
desired.

-Phil