Re: [exim] appendfile allow_symlink

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: W B Hacker
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] appendfile allow_symlink
Jason Keltz wrote:
> By default, appendfile will not deliver if the path name for the file is
> that of a symbolic link. Setting the allow_symlink option relaxes that
> constraint. Is there any way that I can get middle ground by enabling
> "allow_symlink", but only allowing symlinks that are owned by say,
> root/exim? I don't want a user to be able to delete my symlink of
> /var/mail/USER to /real/path/of/var/mail.
>
> Jason.

As it is the path - not the file at the end of it - you wish to deny
user modification of, I'm not sure what *n*x perms cannot already protect..

That said, I don't see what the advantage is of using a symlink in the
first place.

Userland need not have 'visibility' of the whole dirtree, let alone
perms to modify it - only the Maildir or Mbox at the end of it. The
POP/IMAP needs the whole shebang (as Exim does), but need not expose it
to the user.

That said, none of our shell accounts have mail, and all of our mail
accounts, paths, privs, and mailstore are 'virtual' - even the
postmaster@, so my practice may not fit your environment.

Bill