Re: [exim] heartbeat load balancing and exim

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
CC: Exim Users List
Assumpte: Re: [exim] heartbeat load balancing and exim

On 27 Mar 2008, at 08:10, Christian Recktenwald wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 04:22:27PM -0700, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
>> Christian Recktenwald wrote:
>>
>>> To get the idea think of two SMTP listeners just receiving
>>> mail and instantly writing them to a common storage.
>>
>> The common storage part would become an additional weak link, since
>> it
>> introduces something one tried to eliminate, a single point of
>> failure.
>
> Depends on the storage. Get a redundant one.

I have a (pair of) system(s) that do this and it works well for us.

2 boxes, running exim and dovecot. 2 service IP addresses, each
machine prefers one of the service IP addresses, but heartbeat is set
so that either takes over the other service IP if the other system is
down.

Mail spool is on NetApp NFS with decent service guarantees. Offhand
(since its been in service for years) can't remember whether the
queues are on network or local storage.

However this system is not particularly loaded (its actually the
voicemail storage backend for an IP voice switch).

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]