Re: [exim] Mail server rejection

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: H. Haines Brown
To: Graeme Fowler
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Mail server rejection
Graeme, thanks for pointing me to the solution of my problem.

> On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 12:08 -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> > Thanks for the clarification. The question I was getting at is that I
> > have no procmail, sendmail or maildrop. Does that mean I have no MTA
> > at all, or does exim handle the transport?
>
> Technically you probably don't have an MTA as such; Exim in your case is
> acting as an MSA - but that's a technicality which is irrelevant :)

If I understand correctly, you are saying that technically I do not
have an MTA application installed, but Exim can fulfill that
function. So a question is, if one wants reliable mail communications
and ease of installation, is relying on Exim sufficient, or are there
good reasons on a home office system to install and use of of the
common MTAs: procmail, sendmail or maildrop?

> Your problem is that your desktop machine is setup to authenticate to
> your ISP's MSA/MTA, your laptop isn't.

> If I were you I'd look at the way you have both configs setup, and
> transpose the outbound authentication section from desktop to laptop.
> Then you'll be fine.

It never occurred to me to set up authentication manually. But I had
done it before and forgotten that it was necessary. When I entered a
necessary line into /etc/exim3/passwd.client, I was able to send out a
message without difficulty. Problem solved!

Thanks.

Haines Brown