Re: [exim] RAID level for mailstore

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Jeroen van Aart
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] RAID level for mailstore
W B Hacker wrote:

> Twice only in the 30-odd years I've been pretty much a 'RAID1
> everywhere' guy (even on one of my laptops..).

> One was a staff member, not I. But it was 600 CD's worth of reload.
> No fun at all!

Well I assumed it wasn't you. Reloading 600 CDs must be very unpleasant
indeed. What I wonder is just how and why all the data was put on 600
CDs to begin with. That reminds me of my DJ days backing up my 40 mb
amiga HD to 40 or so floppies. ;-)

> W/R 'software' RAID. The simpler the better. Take the whole device, as
> in (n)atacontrol, not the clever, but potentially hard-to-remember-what

I'm using mdadm on linux. I decided against partitioning the raid since
it makes less sense and is not as straight forward as it is without a raid.

> I also advise having the boot, OS, apps, et al on separate arrays from
> the mailstore. Makes upgrades and even OS changes safer.

Currently it's only the mailstore and similar critical data which is put
on a raid. To keep it simple (and to actually upgrade the systems
involved without noticeable downtime) I opted to have the OS remain on a
single disk.

Greetings,
Jeroen