Re: [exim] RAID level for mailstore

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Tom Brown
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: W B Hacker
Kopio: exim users
Aihe: Re: [exim] RAID level for mailstore
W B Hacker wrote:
> Graeme Fowler wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Look! I'm responding to the original question, not getting involved in
>> an argument. Woo!
>>
>> On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 19:35 +0000, Tom Brown wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder what people think for a RAID level for their mail stores?
>>>
>> It depends entirely on circumstance. That circumstance comprises
>> hardware, number of drives, OS, network load, peak required throughput,
>> what apps are sharing the array, required space, future growth, whether
>> the system is read- or write-heavy, the size of the files, and a
>> multitude of other factors (many of which Bill Hacker has already
>> mentioned in the spiralling "which is best" thread).
>>

>>> I can only have RAID 1 or RAID 5 and i dont have many users ~500 so what
>>> do people think? This will be on a hardware RAID card but the RAID
>>> channel will not be dedicated to the mail store ie there will be another
>>> RAID disk sharing the channel.
>>>

> 'Only RAID 1 or RAID5' hints what is on-hand is not a bottom-end
> psuedo-controller (most cannot do RAID5, only 0,1, or 0+1), but neither
> is it a high-end (which can also do a few more fallen-from-grace
> versions, and the current buzzphrase - RAID 6).
>
> Leaving SCSI out for the moment, it is now hard to even find in stock
> new 3.5" drives under 200 GB or 2.5" under 80 GB.
>
> But the 'sweet spot' in bang-for-the buck is now around 320 to 500 GB
> 3.5", 120 to 160 GB 2.5".
>
> Even if you go all-IMAP, no POP, 500 typical users are not likely to
> fill up a pair, or two sets - of 500 to 750 GB SATA drives fast enough
> that you won't have plenty of time to plan as they grow.
>
> If you really want to reduce risk of failure, buy decent, but not
> stupidly expensive drives, do about 30-60 days 'burn-in' on another box
> (or as hot standby in the same box), migrate the data and swap-out the
> older production drives at not over 2-year intervals or 60% full -
> whichever comes first. You *can* even 'leapfrog' intentionally
> mismatched RAID1 (say a 500 GB with a 750, then activate another slice
> and go 750 with 1 TB) to further shorten the age of the rig, but it is
> more work.
>
> The 'pulls' go into lighter / less critical duty, and you keep on with
> hand-me-down - replacing only the drives at the top of the risk chain.
>
> If you slice/partition intelligently, the natural progression of
> larger-cheaper drives make for a cheap and cheerful growth with minimal
> admin time, and the opportunity to re-optimize every year or two to cope
> with shifting needs.
>
> And RAID1 = with pure mirrored data, no parity - fits the 'cheap and
> cheerful' model quite well, as it is largely portable across controllers
> and even back and forth between 'hardware' RAID and software RAID.
>
> RAID5 is not so easy to move about, and wo betide you if you have a
> controller failure, have no identical spare, and cannot find an exact
> match 'Real Soon' - or ever.

> [...]

thanks all for the responses and also for an enlightening thread -

I have 6 spindles available to me and i _could_ also do RAID1+0 but the
sacrifice on space is not worth it for me - The disks are 10k SCSI (this
is a slightly aged GL 380) and its a 'propper' hardware controller. I
have been in this game for ~10 years and apart from a SAMBA server i'd
personally never use SATA for server grade kit. I like SAS but alas this
is a 'home' machine and so SCSI it is.

Thanks for the comments i think i'll go for 3 RAID1's for binary, scan
and store

cheers all!