Re: [exim] RAID level for mailstore

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: W B Hacker
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim users
Aihe: Re: [exim] RAID level for mailstore
Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> W B Hacker wrote:
>> It is also easy to implement with anything from top-end 'hardware'
>> controllers thru el-cheapo psuedo-RAID or even all-software - one or
>> more 'flavors' of such being supported by most OS.
>
> I'm using various software raid1s and it works fine so far.
>
>> mirrors a new, blank HDD onto the one with good data instead of the
>> other way 'round...
>>
>> :-(
>
> It sounds like you speak out of experience? if so that's very unfortunate.
>
> Greetings,
> Jeroen

Twice only in the 30-odd years I've been pretty much a 'RAID1
everywhere' guy (even on one of my laptops..).

One was a staff member, not I. But it was 600 CD's worth of reload.
No fun at all!

Well worth taking the extra time to be *certain* of what is where, and
what ID has been assigned before charging ahead.

W/R 'software' RAID. The simpler the better. Take the whole device, as
in (n)atacontrol, not the clever, but potentially hard-to-remember-what
you-did GMIRROR (which can mirror a partition OR an entire drive, AND
can do so to remoted, networked storage, not just on-box).

I also advise having the boot, OS, apps, et al on separate arrays from
the mailstore. Makes upgrades and even OS changes safer.

We usually use 2 if not 3 RAID1 arrays in a server (OS & apps,
mailstore, web or DB store), delay mounting the big ones until after the
system has gone multi.

That insures one can get in quickly via ssh for maintenance, do remote
add spare, rebuilding, etc - and reduces need for site visits.

YMMV,

Bill