[exim] System mail name

Inizio della pagina
Autore: H. Haines Brown
To: exim-users
Oggetto: [exim] System mail name
I have a simple question concerning configuration of exim4, visible
mail name.

One page of the configuration asks for "system mail name". My FQDM is
teufel.hartford-hwp.com, and that's what I've been using here with
success.

The directions say: "The 'mail name' is the domain name used to
"qualify" mail addresses without a domain name. I understand this to
mean that if there is a message coming to the teufel host that does
not specify the domain, this defines what is apprended to "teufel" to
construct the FQDM: teufel.hartford-hwp.com.

However, in the example offered by the directions it says, "For
example, if a mail address on the local host is foo@???,
then the correct value for this option would be domain.example." I
don't understand the format of "foo@???". What does
"example" refer to, the top level domains such as .org or .com? If so,
then the value needed here would not be the FQDN, but simply the
domain: hartford-hwp.com

And then I read an authoritative rundown of exim configuration,
visible mail name
(http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/networking/exim.html) where it
says: "What is the `visible' mail name of your system? ... Press
return to select the default, that is, the host name of your
machine. (You can see it in /etc/hostname .)"

Indeed, with a new configuration, the default value that appears here
is the host name, teufel, and this is the value that appears in
/etc/hostname.

So I come up with three conflicting interpretations of what value
should be used for visible mail name.

Haines Brown