Re: [exim] dnsbls

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Phil Pennock
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Jerry Jorgenson
Υ/ο: Exim Users List
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] dnsbls
On 2008-03-14 at 08:55 -0500, Jerry Jorgenson wrote:
> If anyone has had success in instructing ISP personnel on how have a
> reverse address correctly refer to the proper name server I would
> like to hear the method. (Giving them the page number in the DNS &
> BIND book doesn't seem to work. Even getting them to understand the
> request seems as difficult as getting a paper airplane to the moon.)

There's the other side, which is the policy side.

At $former_employer, people with a single IP address on a residential
DSL service didn't get to choose "custom" reverse DNS, but since it was
static IP there was matching forward/reverse with the $accountname.$ISP
hostname.

People with subnets (which SDSL or leased-line customers would have) got
to have a custom prefix for each hostname and we typically had mail-gw
for the first or second prefix. By now, I forget the custom rules to
add more flexibility from when I redid that logic.

We sometimes delegated /24s but normally had more problems that way,
with customers having bad DNS and us getting blamed. We far preferred
to slave DNS from the customer. I think we handled slaving reverse DNS
too.

So, were you paying for a business class service and speaking to the
business helpdesk, or a residential/SOHO service? If the latter, meh.
If the former, well, I can say from experience that there are better
providers in other countries, but since moving here ... my frustration
levels have increased somewhat. (Judging your country from domain
registration).

-Phil