Re: [exim] Email DNS Issue

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: W B Hacker
Para: exim users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Email DNS Issue
Matt wrote:
> I am running bind 9.2.4 and exim-4.60-1. I have a user complaining
> they cannot receive email from a certain person. I see in the log
> files: "temporarily rejected ... Could not complete sender verify".
> They have had this issue for weeks. The sender never receives a
> bounce either.
>
> I went to Dnsstuff.com and checked out sending domain. What looked
> glaringly wrong to me is this:
>
> "ERROR: ns.abcuser.net. has a CNAME entry
> (ns.abcuser.net.->ns1.xyzuser.net.); it is not valid to have a CNAME
> entry entry for the hostname in an NS record (for ns.abcuser.net.).
> See RFC1912 2.4 and RFC2181 10.3 for more information.
> ERROR: ns1.abcuser.net. has a CNAME entry
> (ns1.abcuser.net.->ns1.asdfuser.net.); it is not valid to have a CNAME
> entry entry for the hostname in an NS record (for ns1.abcuser.net.).
> See RFC1912 2.4 and RFC2181 10.3 for more information.
> Note: This test checks with our local DNS server (since the NS record
> hostnames may not be handled by your DNS server), and therefore may be
> cached."
>
> And also:
>
> "MX A lookups have no CNAMEs WARNING: One or more of your MX records
> points to a CNAME. CNAMEs are prohibited in MX records, according to
> RFC974, RFC1034 3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and RFC2181 10.3. The problem MX
> record(s) are:"
>
> I do a dig(dig domain mx) for the mx on my dns server and get a
> SERVFAIL, dig on @AT&T dns server and it works. Dig on @Qwest DNS
> server and it does SERVFAIL. But later it works on the Qwest server.
> Does the sender verify in Exim just do a mx lookup or what?
>
> They say they do not have trouble emailing anyone else. I really do
> not have trouble receiving email from anyone else with over a thousand
> heavily used accounts. So is this likely my problem or a problem at
> the sending domain?
>
> Matt

'Blame' aside, you're the one who can most easily fix it.

IF you are doing sender-verify, you will have to expect that a
significant number of sending hosts will not pass.

Faulty 'vanilla' DNS entries aside, many will be in large ISP 'pools'
where incoming/outgoing are separate, and may not be properly listed in
DNS, or just not configured to respond as you wish they would.

Others may treat your query as possible spambot probing and shut *you*
out. Still others have delays or greylsting that will look like a fail
in any reasonable time, hence drop the connection.

Not having already had a larger issue with sender_verify is pure BSL.

Suggestion: Use a succesful sender-verify to add positive 'points', a
fail to add negative 'points' - but do not hard-reject on a fail, nor
grant a free ride on a success (alone).

Better yet - use more consistently predictable tools and retire that
test altogether as unpredictable at best.

JM2CW,

Bill