Re: [exim-dev] Automatically removing old mail

Author: Ted Cooper
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Automatically removing old mail
Michael Haardt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I brought up this topic two times now and by now accept the fact that
> nobody likes it being integrated in Sieve. ;) So here is a new approach:
>
> Some mail systems allow the concept of "rolling/automatically expiring"
> mailboxes/folders which automatically remove old mail, which is useful
> for newsletter lists and junk mail folders. It is important that this
> function is not performed by the client, because clients usually don't
> clean up during vacation.
>
> For that reason, I suggest a Maildir extension, which allows the mail
> system to remove mail. Perhaps there is a better name than expire,
> because people might expect a different behaviour by that name. It is
> controlled by creating a file called "expire" in maildir base directories
> with a similar structure to the first line of "maildirsize": A list of
> numbers with a suffix that specifies their meaning:
>
> 1000000s 86400t 100c
>
> That would limit messages to a total of 1MByte, at most one day old and
> at most 100 messages. When delivering mail, old mail will be removed
> until these constraints are met.
>
> It is still open how it should behave when delivering a 2M message.
> The decision is between delivering it, rejecting and discarding it.
> Right now, mail is delivered.
>
> I have no idea if limiting the message age is really useful to anybody.
> I don't care how old mails in my junk folder are, as long as they take
> up too much storage.
>
> Any opinions are appreciated.

That seems a lot like overkill when a simple one line command stuck in
cron does it just fine.

# Anything over 14 days old
find . -type f -mtime +14 -exec rm {} \;
# Anything over 1Mb and 2 days old
find . -type f -mtime +2 -size 1000k -exec rm {} \;

Why re-invent the wheel? You're always going to deliver the message so
it's not really in Exim's domain.

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html