Re: [exim] dnsbls

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] dnsbls
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> > --On 13 March 2008 19:05:58 +0300 Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@???>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello List,
> > >
> > > Was zen.spamhaus.org closed down, or did it become commercial?
> > > For some reason, my server cannot find it anymore.
> > > What are the recommended dnsbls currently?
> >
> > You might have been firewalled, if you used it too much.
>
> That is a big possibility, but how do I control my server from "using it
> too much"? Especially when you have several servers, for example.

Contact the spammers and ask them not to send you so much spam :) More
practically, use other techniques to shed spammers off before you get as
far as DNS checks (delays, reverse lookup checks, local blocklists, other
'free' DNSBLs, etc).

You should probably read the following carefully:

http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html

Note that Spamhaus is only free for low-volume non-commercial usage.

> > We now obtain a feed through the UK's Joint Academic Network.
>
> Is that "open" by any chance, so an outsider can use it as well? Well,
> is there a way to mirror it so that I can query my own mirror instead?

No. JANET came to an arrangement with Spamhaus to privately mirror
Spamhaus' data for the benefit of JANET's member organisations (only).

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK