Re: [exim] Exim4 zombie processes are not killed

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim4 zombie processes are not killed
Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:46:51 +0100, Alexander Nagel
> <feuerschwanz76@???> wrote:
>> configfile (spam part):
>>
>> spamcheck:
>> driver = pipe
>> command = "/usr/sbin/exim4 -oMr spam-scanned -bS"
>> use_bsmtp = true
>> transport_filter = "/usr/bin/spamc -t 10 -u $local_part"
>> home_directory = "/tmp"
>> current_directory = "/tmp"
>> user = Debian-exim
>> group = Debian-exim
>> log_output = true
>> return_fail_output = true
>> return_path_add = false
>
> Why are you using the outdated router/transport way to transfer your
> data to spamassassin, effectively doubling your exim load?
>
> Greetings
> Marc

Not always.

Better to shed the unwelcome spam during smtp, certainly.

But - especially if you are in a mark-it, optionally quarantine-it, but
not-allowed to reject it environment, as many ISP are, getting spam
scanning off Exim's connect-time resource budget, especially with
queue_only, at least allows handling more peak connections.

OTOH - IF one is going to pass it all anyway, then a post-Exim 'milter'
approach - preferably on a second box - would unload Exim even more.

Mind - I'd not want to do either - better to put more resources
up-front, and stricter pre-scanning rejection.

But 'doubling' is not necessarily accurate here for all scenarios - only
for those where your user-base is happy to have at least the worst spam
shed 'up-front and final'.

Bill