Re: [exim] Exim-users Digest, Vol 46, Issue 20

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim-users Digest, Vol 46, Issue 20
Tony Marsh wrote:
*snip*

> SA has been run the first time. The $spam_score and $spam_score_int
> variables are completely global and may or may not be cleared between
> messages (I can't remember if that was fixed or not).

ISTR that it has been.

OTOH, *at one time* if $spam_score_int was, for example, used in three
successive acl's, it could now and then be observed to increase between
calls. Or NOT.

With enhanced logging, log_message, logwrite all at high levels,
tail -f ~/exim/mainlog AND tail -f ~/maillog (where our SA logged at the
time) it appeared that this was a single pass over a single message, not
child processes tripping over one another, and that SA incremented the
score after each of several separate tests, said 'growing' score being
read by Exim while the SA passes were still in process, hence the
(sometimes) incrementing score between calls.

'I could be wrong.... etc', but this was observed behaviour, not
theoretical.

Long-since, we have stripped SA of doing much of anything save limited
header scan and full message-body content scanning, resulting in less
frequent SA invocations and faster completion for each, so this is no
longer seen here.

HTH,

Bill