Re: [exim] fatal bounces / cut off time

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Zbigniew Szalbot
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] fatal bounces / cut off time
On 2008-03-12 at 10:33 +0100, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> So the example router could look like this?

No, because it has two domains specifications.

If you remove the first one, then yes.

> My question is more general though. In situations when I get
> connection timeouts, I would like mail to be bounced after the retry
> period passes. And when it does, I'd like exim to bounce only
> particular email without affecting other emails to the same domain. So
> each email should be queued for 4 days before it gets bounced. And I
> would like this to happen not only for yahoo but for other domains. I
> know it creates some overhead but I can live with that. However, this
> applies only to timeouts, not to 5.5.4 or the like errors.

Exim's retry hints database is per-host or per-address, not per-message.
Of course, that can change -- the developers welcome patches.

Some people might consider your desired behaviour abusive, since if
there are N mails queued up, the repeated attempts to deliver each mail
every so often would result in N attempts per retry timeout, which can
build up quite fast.

If you have so few mails that this really isn't a concern (ie, you're in
the situation I'm in these days with my Exim setup) then there's no real
issue in noticing a build-up of mails in your queue and jumping through
whichever hoops are mutually acceptable to you and the recipient
domain's postmaster. In the middle ground between these two extremes,
your proposal runs the risk of exceeding sensitive DoS thresholds which
the biggest freemail providers have.

-Phil