[exim] exim's mailbox quota

Author: exim
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] exim's mailbox quota

Hi,

I have a problem understanding how quota limits on mailbox sizes are
handled.
In the exim.conf the following line should handle the quota:

quota = ${if
exists{/etc/virtual/${domain}/quota}{${lookup{$local_part}lsearch*{/etc/virtual/${domain}/quota}{$value}{0}}}{0}}

however, if I understand this line well, it only checks if the messages
being deliverd is not bigger than the quota set. At least that is wat
happens.
Testing reveals that a quota set to 10MB only limits the message size to
10MB. Sending 15 messages of 1MB each delivers them all.

In /etc/virtual/${domain}/quota} is a line per local_part (part before
the '@'), eq "jef:100000" and "carl:1400000"

I supose that $value in the exim line will contain "100000" for Jef and
"1400000" for Carl respectively.
I can't find a rule that blocks any new mail if message_size +
mail-box-size > quota set.

2 things are possible:

1) I am completly wrong in reading the line from exim.conf and it should
enforce quota mailbox limits. (Which it doesn't.)

2) Exim indeed only checks the message size. I this case, what can I do
to get exim enforcing mailbox size limits.

Tia,

Bert.