Re: [exim] slightly OT: keeping exim up2date on Debian

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] slightly OT: keeping exim up2date on Debian
Karl Fischer wrote:

> I'm using exim for nearly three years now and found my way through
> the config and that stuff, however, getting to the newest version
> is still painful each time ...
> I'm still running sarge (will upgrade to etch with the next server
> box in a few weeks) but I had lot's of trouble with dependencies
> (with clamav, spamassassin, MySQL, cyrus-imapd, sasl etc.) with
> packages from either backports, testing, volatile or whatever ...
>
> Is there any good receipe out there about (easily) getting the
> (upgrade to the) newest version of exim on Debian (sarge|etch)
> without these troubles - ending up in compiling from source ?

Stick with stable/security/volatile/backports, and avoid testing. The
first 4 repositories are designed to integrate well together, and none
of them are designed to work well with testing (which is a pre-release
build of the next stable release of the OS).

There is usually a relatively current version of exim available in
backports.

- Marc