[exim] slightly OT: keeping exim up2date on Debian

Author: Karl Fischer
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] slightly OT: keeping exim up2date on Debian

Hi together,

I've got a slightly OT question for this list, but perhaps
someone can point me in the right direction ...

Heiko mentioned in the recent 'exim Toaster' thread:

> aptitude install exim4-daemon-heavy spamassassin clamav-daemon

[snip]
> though, Debian stable has exim version, 4.63,
> if you need 4.69 you should include lenny in your sources list

with comments about backports.org and mixing distributions ...

I'm using exim for nearly three years now and found my way through
the config and that stuff, however, getting to the newest version
is still painful each time ...
I'm still running sarge (will upgrade to etch with the next server
box in a few weeks) but I had lot's of trouble with dependencies
(with clamav, spamassassin, MySQL, cyrus-imapd, sasl etc.) with
packages from either backports, testing, volatile or whatever ...

Is there any good receipe out there about (easily) getting the
(upgrade to the) newest version of exim on Debian (sarge|etch)
without these troubles - ending up in compiling from source ?

Many thanks for any hints ...

- Karl