Re: [exim] toaster?

Author: Fábio Rabelo
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] toaster?
Heiko Schlittermann escreveu:
> A Guy <viruslaki@???> (Fr 07 Mär 2008 23:38:23 CET):
>
>> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Fábio Rabelo <fabio@???>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't thing that Exim is for you ....
>>> It is faster and more flexible then Postfix, but has no "all in one"
>>> solution for it, especially in RPM format ...
>>> Try this one :
>>>
>>> http://www.tummy.com/Products/vpostmaster/
>>>
>>> I am not a RPM based distro user, I just use CentOS when the customer
>>> demands it .
>>> If I can choose, I use Debian or Ubuntu, it extremely more simple to
>>> maintain and upgrade .... sorry .
>>>

>> Don't get me wrong, i am just tired of using configure/make every time i
>> need to update something on the system. I am using qmail widely and it is
>> very frustrating to compile/patch it every time. And, rpm based system is
>> easier to maintain/upgrade/update. At least to me.

When you have some time in spare, give a try to Debian, you thing that
RPM based distro is simple just because you never tryes it, beleave me,
I was user of Red Hat in version 3, and Suse user in versions 5, 6, and
7, and ocasional user of Conectiva and Mandrake .
I discovered Debian in 2.2 version ( potato ) and get instantly amazed
by its simplicity and elegance .
And things just get better since 2.2 ....
Give it a try and you will see ...
> aptitude install exim4-daemon-heavy spamassassin clamav-daemon
> Than configure all these parts (not talking about ./configure, but about
> editing config files). And then, as time goes by just
> aptitude update && aptitude upgrade.
>
> But as Debian/Ubunto admin you should know these steps.
>
> [ though, Debian stable has exim version, 4.63, if you need 4.69 you
> should include lenny in your sources list

I prefer to use the backports repository for production servers :

http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php

but it is becaming off topic I beleave !

Fábio Rabelo