Re: [exim] toaster?

Author: 韓家標 Bill Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] toaster?
A Guy wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 8:12 PM, F�bio Rabelo <fabio@???>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't know qmailtoaster, but I use this tool with exim :
>>

> Here it is: http://www.qmailtoaster.com

For comparable, dare I say *better* overall functionality, an
Exim-centric solution needs:

A) Far, far fewer bits and pieces

B) Has far better proven 'cohesion' beween and among those it does need.

C) Needs very infrequent, and very easy upgrades

D) Can be expecte to require more experienced / better trained or in any
case more highly skilled Admin - but will repay that investment sevral
times over in superior flexibility.

> Tech spec:
>
>    - Source RPM packages ready for RPM based distributions

Exim is available as either packaged binary or cross-platform source.

>    - SMTP with SMTP-AUTH, TLS, REMOTE-AUTH

Support built-in. you must configure to suit.

>    - DomainKeys, SPF "Sender Policy Framework" and SRS "Sender Rewriting
>    Scheme"

Support built-in. You must configure to suit.

>    - Integrated SpamAssassin, ClamAV and Simscan

SpamAssassin integration built-in, and usable at ether/both smtp-time
(recommmended), or delivery-phase.

ClamAV integration built-in, also usable at smtp-time (recommended) or
delivery phase.

>    - Warlord virus and worm loader realtime scanning

Have never heard of those.

>    - CHKUSER 2.0 functions for qmail-smtpd

Exim works well with GMail. Not aware that it needs anything extra to do so.

>    - Qmail-Tap provides email archive capability

Archiving, from dirt-simple to fiendishly complex is a built-in Exim
capability.

>    - Virtual Domains (MySQL), Virtual Users (MySQL)

Exim is indifferent to whether domains are 'on-box' shell account
holders, 'virtual' or any mix. Supports control of login mehtod, ID &
PWD from any style or mixture of flat files, DB's, CDB'S, LAAP, SQL

>    - Autoresponder,

Capability built-in to Exim, many examples of different flavors available.

Mailing List

Basic to medium-clever MLM functionality can be and has been
incorporated into Exim with acl's and router/transport sets.

It is generally preferable, however, to use a purpose-built MLM rahtr
than re-invent half a wheel.

MailMan and Ecartis, just to name two, integrate quite well with Exim,
and essentially any other MLM probaly will do / has been.

>    - Web-based email system,

Not directly related to Exim. Essentially any that work at all will also
work with Exim.

Web-based administration tools

Likewise. For the most part, all you need is a tool to *securely* manage
the user characteristics (files, DB's, LDAP, RDMS - whatever..)

How, and which to use depends on how you choose to store the essential
information.

>    - POP3, POP3-SSL, IMAP and IMAP-SSL

Dovecot provides 'all of the above', and integrates very easily with
Exim. So do several others.

Aside from need for rights and privileges to access the mailstore, there
is no 'forced' link between Exim ad POP/IMAP or Webmail tools.

e.g. - Exim is agnostic.

>    - mrtg graphs of viruses stoped, network traffic, smtp connections
>    etc.

Exim includes very flexible log formatting capability and 'eximstats' a
highly configurable text-output-based statistical analysis and display
formatting tool. You can do almost anything that can reasonably BE done
w/r data mining and analysis, then pass the output to the
graphical/webish display toolset of your choice.

> all in one package, rpm based, easy to use on centos, easy to upgrade. But
> qmail is old, it needs lot of patches to have options that modern mail
> servers already have built in.
>
> As far as i can see exim can do all this, but i am searching for all-rpm
> solution, perhaps even updateable through yum.

Although we are *BSD based, and use ports, generic tarballs, or packages
that are not 'rpms', you will find that updates are the easiest part.

Exim has progressively added features, but backward compatibility as to
configuration files is about as good as it gets - i.e. an Exim 4.4X
configure file will generally work unaltered with any later Exim version
so far released.

For the most part, one needs to make configure file changes only to the
extent it is desired to take advantage of features that did not exist in
an earlier releases. *Rarely* the 'sense', naming, or mode of operation
of an existing function, variable, etc will be changed in such a way as
to require at least a minor tweak or three to an older configuration
file. Rarely.

Bottom Line:

For comparable overall utility, a Exim-centric solution needs only a
fraction of the bits and pieces thrown into the mix you cite, above.
That because Exim can easily do internally a great many of the vetting,
filtering, branching and other 'decision making' activities that other
MTA must offload to external tools.

For us that 'kit' is no more than Exim, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, Dovecot,
and PostgreSQL. Full stop.

Superb filtering, routing, spam resistance, archiving, auto white and
blacklisting - all at minimal maintenance.

CAVEAT: Exim can operate as a dumb-as-dirt MTA with minimal changes to
its default configure file. But very few who use Exim need, want, or
would even *tolerate* that sort of 'simplicity'.

Almost universally, Exim is selected for extensive flexibility and
customizability above all else. Solving problems, and the weirder the
better, IOW.

Making safe and effective use of that flexibility commands attention to
detail and a willingness to research extensively and test throroughly so
as to implement what suits *your* needs. Exim also has best-in-class
debug tools to ease that.

HOWEVER:

That you specifically seek a sort of shrink-wrapped or 'turnkey' package
indicates that taking on that learning-curve and responsibility might be
lower on your list of favorite pastimes / available time than is
generally the case here.

Bill