Re: [exim] timeout on dns operations in acl

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
New-Topics: [exim] (SOLVED) timeout on dns operations in acl
Subject: Re: [exim] timeout on dns operations in acl
Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> Hello Ted,
>
> Ted Cooper <eximX1211@???> (Mi 05 Mär 2008 15:31:47 CET):
>> Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> probably I'm too stupid....
>> Current delegation for dynablock.njabl.org all point to PRIVATE IP
>> address space in an attempt to reduce the bandwidth being used by all
>> the people still checking the list.
>>
>> http://www.dnsbl.com/2007/03/njabl-dynablock-list-now-obsolete.html
>
> So - effectivly I'm to stupid ;-)
>
> [ But - OTOH, it's not the answer to my question ;-) -- the questions
> was about cutting the timeout ...]
>
> Thank you anyway, because it solved at least the problem in the first
> place.

I think there was a discussion about DNS timeout values sometime in the
last few months, but I can't seem to find the thread (I didn't try too
hard).

From vague memory, the timeout isn't an Exim setting, but rather a
resolver timeout that has to be handled at that level.

I have played with DNS timeouts before but that was with dig/host and
not Exim. I tend to like delays in my mail server since they seem to
make bots fall off.

The bind resolver timeout seems to be 5 seconds, but both dig and host
can change that timeout with a command line option. The Exim docs don't
seem to mention being able to change the DNS timeout and it's far too
late to be poking my nose into the code.

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html