[exim] Problem compiling exim on AIX

Author: Andrew.Stringer
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Problem compiling exim on AIX
Hi, I'm new to this list although I have been using exim on linux for
several years.

We are trying to compile exim on both AIX 5.3 and 6.1 with the same
results. I can compile the same source code without problems on Linux
(Slackware 12.0) without problems, so I assume the problems I am
experiencing are to do with the build environment on AIX. I have installed
all of the (I think ) required packages, both lpp's and rpm's. At the
bottom of the email, I have included a configure session from trying to
compile nano (which also fails) to give some more information about the
environment as exim does not seem to use a configure script to create a
Makefile.

If anyone can shed some light on the AIX side, this would be most helpful.

bash-3.00# pwd
/home/support/exim/exim-4.69
bash-3.00# make clean

*** "make clean" just removes all .o and .a files
*** Use "make makefile" to force a rebuild of the makefile

        cd build-${build:-`/bin/sh scripts/os-type`-`/bin/sh
scripts/arch-type`};  /bin/rm -f *.o lookups/*.o lookups/*.a auths/*.o
auths/*.a  routers/*.o routers/*.a transports/*.o transports/*.a  pcre/*.o
pcre/*.a
bash-3.00#
bash-3.00#
bash-3.00# make makefile

>>> New Makefile installed
>>> Use "make makefile" if you need to force rebuilding of the makefile

bash-3.00# make
`Makefile' is up to date.

        /bin/sh ../scripts/Configure-config.h "make"
Target "buildconfig" is up to date.
Building configuration file config.h

>>> config.h built

gcc pcre_maketables.c
gcc pcre_chartables.c
gcc pcre_fullinfo.c
gcc pcre_get.c
gcc pcre_globals.c
gcc pcre_compile.c
gcc pcre_config.c
gcc pcre_exec.c
gcc pcre_newline.c
gcc pcre_study.c
gcc pcre_tables.c
gcc pcre_try_flipped.c
gcc pcre_version.c
        rm -f libpcre.a
ar cq libpcre.a
ar: 0707-126 pcre_maketables.o is not valid with the current object file
mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_chartables.o is not valid with the current object file
mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_fullinfo.o is not valid with the current object file
mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_get.o is not valid with the current object file mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_globals.o is not valid with the current object file
mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_compile.o is not valid with the current object file
mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_config.o is not valid with the current object file mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_exec.o is not valid with the current object file mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_newline.o is not valid with the current object file
mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_study.o is not valid with the current object file mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_tables.o is not valid with the current object file mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_try_flipped.o is not valid with the current object file
mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.
ar: 0707-126 pcre_version.o is not valid with the current object file
mode.
        Use the -X option to specify the desired object mode.

Stop.

Stop.

Stop.
bash-3.00#
bash-3.00# rpm -q pcre
pcre-3.7-3
bash-3.00#

***WARNING***
Nano, not exim!

bash-3.00# ./configure
checking build system type... rs6000-ibm-aix
checking host system type... rs6000-ibm-aix
checking target system type... rs6000-ibm-aix
checking for a BSD-compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... nawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for strerror in -lcposix... no
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... unknown
checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... 1
checking for msgfmt... no
checking for gmsgfmt... :
checking for xgettext... no
checking for msgmerge... no
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for shared library run path origin... done
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for GNU gettext in libc... no
checking for iconv... yes
checking how to link with libiconv... -liconv
checking for GNU gettext in libintl... no
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... no
checking getopt.h usability... no
checking getopt.h presence... no
checking for getopt.h... no
checking libintl.h usability... no
checking libintl.h presence... no
checking for libintl.h... no
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking regex.h usability... yes
checking regex.h presence... yes
checking for regex.h... yes
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking wchar.h usability... yes
checking wchar.h presence... yes
checking for wchar.h... yes
checking wctype.h usability... yes
checking wctype.h presence... yes
checking for wctype.h... yes
checking whether to enable UTF-8 support... auto
checking whether to use slang... no
checking for getdelim... no
checking for getline... no
checking for isblank... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strcasestr... no
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for strnlen... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for iswalnum... yes
checking for iswblank... yes
checking for iswpunct... yes
checking for iswspace... yes
checking for mblen... yes
checking for mbstowcs... yes
checking for mbtowc... yes
checking for wctomb... yes
checking for wcwidth... yes
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for vprintf... yes
checking for _doprnt... yes
checking for getopt_long... no
checking ncurses.h usability... no
checking ncurses.h presence... no
checking for ncurses.h... no
checking for get_wch in -lncursesw... no
checking for initscr in -lncurses... no
checking curses.h usability... yes
checking curses.h presence... yes
checking for curses.h... yes
checking for get_wch in -lcurses... yes
Using curses as the curses library
checking for use_default_colors in -lcurses... no
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/nanorc.sample
config.status: creating doc/man/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/man/fr/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/syntax/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/texinfo/Makefile
config.status: creating m4/Makefile
config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
config.status: WARNING:  po/Makefile.in.in seems to ignore the
--datarootdir setting
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating nano.spec
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
config.status: executing default-1 commands
config.status: creating po/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/Makefile
bash-3.00# make
        make  all-recursive
Making all in doc
Making all in man
        make  all-recursive
Target "all-am" is up to date.
Making all in texinfo
        make  all-am
Target "all-am" is up to date.
Target "all-am" is up to date.
Target "all" is up to date.
Making all in m4
Target "all" is up to date.
Making all in po
Target "all" is up to date.
Making all in src
        if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
-DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/usr/local/etc\"
-g -O2 -MT browser.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/browser.Tpo" -c -o browser.o
browser.c;  then mv -f ".deps/browser.Tpo" ".deps/browser.Po"; else rm -f
".deps/browser.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
In file included from browser.c:24:
proto.h:652: error: parse error before '->' token
In file included from browser.c:28:
/usr/include/unistd.h:915: error: parse error before '[' token
/usr/include/unistd.h:916: error: parse error before 'rid_t'

Stop.

Stop.

Stop.
bash-3.00# pwd

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew.Stringer@???

The information contained within this e-mail (and any attachment) sent by Service Birmingham Ltd. is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the named recipient or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately. Unauthorised access, use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted and may be unlawful. Any e-mail including its content may be monitored and used by Service Birmingham Ltd. for reasons of security and for monitoring internal compliance with Security Policy. E-mail blocking software will also be used. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the originator and do not necessarily represent those of Service Birmingham Ltd.

Although Service Birmingham Ltd. has made every reasonable effort to ensure that this message and any attachments contain no viruses and have not been intercepted or amended, it can not make any assurances to this effect.

Service Birmingham Ltd, Registered in England & Wales under Company No: 05660977???????
Registered Office: Units 2&3 B1, 50 Summer Hill Road, Birmingham, B1 3BZ.