Re: [exim] E-Mial Disclaimers [was: problem with port 25]

Author: Steve Dobson
To: Christian Schmidt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] E-Mial Disclaimers [was: problem with port 25]
Christian

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 13:49 +0100, Christian Schmidt wrote:
> Could you please stop posting the following stuff here?
>
> Nitin Gupta, 26.02.2008 (d.m.y):
> > DISCLAIMER:
> > The contents of this e-mail (and any attachments) are confidential,
> > may be privileged and may contain copyright material of Company or
> > third parties. You may only reproduce or distribute the material if
> > you are expressly authorized by us to do so.
> >
> > If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying
> > of this e-mail (and any attachments) is unauthorized. If you have
> > received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender via e-mail;
> > delete it and any copies of it from your system.
> >
> > Although this message and its attachments have been scanned for viruses
> > and no viruses were detected, no responsibility whatsoever is
> > accepted by the Company for any loss or damage arising in any way
> > from receipt or use thereof.

There is not point complaining about dumb disclaimers like this. It was
probably added at the request of some tech illiterate lawyer type who
doesn't have a clue about the existence of newsgroups and mail-lists
that use e-mail protocols to transmit information.

IMNAL, but I do read Groklaw :-), but I believe your defence could go
something like this:

"1. I am not at fault in the revelling the confidential information
contained within that e-mail, your honour. The e-mail was first
submitted by an employee of the plaintive to a publicly archived
mail-list and as such is now available to anyone with access to the
World Wide Web. It was the plaintive that placed the information in the
public domain.

"2. I have never meet with the plaintive, or a representative thereof,
before the offending e-mail was sent to me. As there was never a
'meeting of minds' no contract between the plaintive and myself was in
place. I never agreed to keep any information given to me by the
plaintive confidential."

Steve