Re: [exim] Setting up a mailsink/blackhole?

Author: Andrew Heagle
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Setting up a mailsink/blackhole?
On February 23, 2008 03:07:24 Dave Evans wrote:

> Depending on what other mail this box handles (for example, it will often
> need to handle its own mail, e.g. as generated by cron), you may want to
> add "domains" conditions to those routers. Currently alerts_qa@???
> (for example) would be routed to the alerts mailbox, not to google.

This box will never be used to deliver mail to the Internet at all. That would
be disastrous for us! I also realized that emails to alert_qa/dev would not
go to the correct mailbox, but I think it is unlikely those local_parts would
show up so I'm not too worried about that.

> > And speaking of which, I was wondering, aside from experience, is there
> > some kind of rule-of-thumb about when you want to implement something
> > whether one should use ACLs, routers or transports? I don't think I've
> > quite wrapped my brain around this yet.
>
> Transports are the methods of delivery (SMTP, maildir, lmtp, etc).
>
> Routers are used to select a transport, usually based on the recipient
> address (but as you can see you can also base the decision on other things,
> such as the sender's IP address).
>
> ACLs are primarily used to perform filtering before the message is accepted
> by Exim, placed in the queue, and delivery attempted. They can also have
> side effects, such as adding headers, or variables which are later used by
> the routers.
>
> So for example if your box knows how to deliver mail for
> "bob@???", it's the routers which decide where that mail
> goes. If it knows that "nosuchuser@???" is /never/ a
> good address, that's also the job of the routers (to ensure that the
> address is unrouteable). To decide whether or not mail arriving via SMTP
> for bob@??? should be allowed in in the first place, use
> ACLs.
>
> Does that help?

Yes, it does, thanks. The rusty cogs were starting to grind away a bit more
last night as I was thinking about all this after sending my reply email...

Thanks again!
Andrew