Re: [exim] Setting up a mailsink/blackhole?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Dave Evans
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Setting up a mailsink/blackhole?
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:01:41PM -0500, Andrew Heagle wrote:
> Here are the routers I made
>
> qa_alert_user:
> driver = accept
> local_parts = alerts_qa
> transport = lmtp_delivery
>
> dev_alert_user:
> driver = accept
> local_parts = alerts_dev
> transport = lmtp_delivery
>
> dept_redirect_email:
> driver = redirect
> data = ${lookup{$sender_host_address}lsearch{/etc/exim/dev_servers}}

Depending on what other mail this box handles (for example, it will often need
to handle its own mail, e.g. as generated by cron), you may want to add
"domains" conditions to those routers. Currently alerts_qa@??? (for
example) would be routed to the alerts mailbox, not to google.

> And speaking of which, I was wondering, aside from experience, is there some
> kind of rule-of-thumb about when you want to implement something whether one
> should use ACLs, routers or transports? I don't think I've quite wrapped my
> brain around this yet.

Transports are the methods of delivery (SMTP, maildir, lmtp, etc).

Routers are used to select a transport, usually based on the recipient address
(but as you can see you can also base the decision on other things, such as
the sender's IP address).

ACLs are primarily used to perform filtering before the message is accepted by
Exim, placed in the queue, and delivery attempted. They can also have
side effects, such as adding headers, or variables which are later used by the
routers.

So for example if your box knows how to deliver mail for
"bob@???", it's the routers which decide where that mail
goes. If it knows that "nosuchuser@???" is /never/ a good
address, that's also the job of the routers (to ensure that the address is
unrouteable). To decide whether or not mail arriving via SMTP for
bob@??? should be allowed in in the first place, use ACLs.

Does that help?

--
Dave Evans