Re: [exim] Question about forward recipient verify callouts

Author: Duane Hill
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Question about forward recipient verify callouts
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:24:12 -0800
Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:

> I have an unusual situation. I have a customer that I'm spam
> filtering for. Email from the net comes to my servers first, I clean
> it, and then pass it on.
>
> Their server however for some strange reason returns a 450 instead of
> 550 for non-existent users. Text is "User unknown in local recipient
> table". I'm trying to figure out how to capture and test that
> response so I can properly reject this mail rather that retrying for
> a long time.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I bet it's a Postfix box. I also did a search on the exact text
you show and found it in the source on our server. Postfix defaults to a
450 to prevent rejecting messages if the recipient tables were not
set up properly. That way messages would get deferred instead of
rejected. They would need to add:

unknown_address_reject_code = 550

in Postfix's configuration file.

-------