Re: [exim] Unwanted bounce messages generated locally

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Yves Goergen
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Nigel Metheringham
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Unwanted bounce messages generated locally
On 21.02.2008 14:16 CE(S)T, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2008, at 12:53, Renaud Allard wrote:
>> Yves Goergen wrote:
>>> I don't know anybody who really cares about that RFC postmaster
>>> account.
>>> Neither me nor my clients need it, so we're not going to open that
>>> standardised spam hatch. If somebody wants to contact the holder of
>>> the
>>> domain, they can look up a valid contact address in the domain
>>> registry
>>> or simply visit the web site and read the imprint (which is, as
>>> opposed
>>> to the RFC, enforced by national law).
>>>
>> Well, just have a look at http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-postmaster.php
>> If you are listed there, you may get some spamassassin points.
>
> Oh he is on there - I reporting him myself a few minutes back having
> tested it. Should be confirmed in a day or so.

Thank you very much, Nigel. Should I now hate you for that? Well, should
be no problem to get off it again. Anyway, the entire rfc-ignorant site
seems a bit broken, since *.de is on the whois list... What is a service
worth that "blocks out" *all* German domains?! And who knows what else.
I'm now going to score all RFC_* rules to 0 in my spam filter. A brief
check showed that while it catches much spam, that spam would easily be
catched by other rules, too. On the other side, it may really produce a
ton of false positives. IMO the rfc-ignorant list is not suitable for
use in a spam filter system in any way. At least for the postmaster,
abuse and whois parts.

So as you were so kind to squal on me, do you have any solid reasons why
today (in the year 2008) anybody would need a postmaster mailbox? I
guess you have never used a postmaster address in your life nor looked
into the log files of a mail server close enough. If you had, you'd see
that the *only* purpose of a postmaster address in the real world is to
accept spam. At least, I have never had the need for a postmaster
mailbox myself, nor do I know anybody who does. Should you have any
problem with one of the domains I'm hosting, and then you're too lazy to
look into the whois to find the provider and then use the contact web
form or write an e-mail to the address written in that page's imprint,
there's no more I can do for you.

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <nospam.list@???>