Re: [exim] Unwanted bounce messages generated locally

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Unwanted bounce messages generated locally

On 21 Feb 2008, at 12:06, Peter Bowyer wrote:

> On 21/02/2008, Yves Goergen <nospam.list@???> wrote:
>>
>> 1) When a message comes in for a mailbox that doesn't exist (unknown
>> user), the message doesn't seem to be rejected at first instance
>> but a
>> bounce mail is generated that cannot be delivered and ends up
>> frozen in
>> the queue. How can this be changed so that unknown users
>> (postmaster@some-local-domain) can be rejected at the first place?
>
> You need 'verify = recipient' in your RCPT ACL.

It should be said, for this specific example, that you should accept
(and deliver to an appropriate place) mail for postmaster as it is an
RFC requirement - see http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/rfcs/rfc2142.php

So, reject email for unknown-local-user@some-local-domain, but not
postmaster@some-local-domain

    Nigel.