Re: [pcre-dev] manual in Texinfo?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Zack Weinberg
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] manual in Texinfo?
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> I'm not currently seeing a reliable way to distinguish between '.' as
> syntax and '.' as regular old punctuation.

The pattern   .\.[^ ,"]    does quite a good job of finding all the
non-punctuation '.' characters, but I do take your point that this kind
of thing is not easy.

> This brings me to the end of my thoughts on the subject - the decision
> is of course yours.

I am waiting to see if anybody else on the list has any thoughts, but
I'm afraid that at the moment I'm not persuaded. I don't like saying
"no" to people, but I feel that learning a new markup language at this
stage is not something I want to do (brain still seems to be functioning
OK, but my memory is not what it was, and I have to consult manuals a
lot more than I used to). And as I said before, I really do not have the
time at the moment for a major upheaval.

Ever since the first release of PCRE, nearly a decade ago, I keep
thinking "that's it - PCRE is done and won't need any more development",
and every time I've been proved wrong, as something major has come up,
requiring code work and usually work on the docs as well. Once again,
I'm hoping this won't happen, but past history is against me. There are
already half a dozen buglets and infelicities awaiting my attention,
though they are small and inoffensive things for which there is no rush,
which is good, because I'm trying to ignore them for several more weeks
if I can.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel