Re: [exim] callouts and tls

Author: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] callouts and tls

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:40:00 +0100 Steffen Heil <mail@???> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to do callout verification.
> My front-end server is an exim 4.63 (debian etch), the back-end is an
> exchange 2003 server.
> That server is reachable on a no-standard-port with tls only.

Are you sure about this? As far as I can tell, Exchange does not check that
the local part of the address exists at the SMTP stage. Providing the domain
is what Exchange knows itself as, it accepts the message and then generates a
non-delivery message. Assuming that you have already checked the domain then
Exchange will always say the address is OK.

That is how Exchange works out of the box. If it can be changed to be more
intelligent then I would like to know!

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter