Re: [exim] whitelisting domains, mysql

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] whitelisting domains, mysql
Anja Gawlik wrote:
>>> I'd like it to work on the first attempt, cannot disturb my
>>> companies mail for an hour to try different settings.. Any help
>>> is greatly appreciated.
>>>

>> You can try running a second exim (test instance) on port 26.
>>
>> Or, test the new config using something like 'exim -bhc ...`. In
>> either case you'll want to test your new config under a different
>> filename (using -C filename) , so that the production instance
>> isn't affected.
>>

> Thank you for your answer. It helped, but I still have a problem: How
> can I simulate an external mail from a whitelisted domain this way
> (eg yahoo.com)? This will always arrive at the production instance of
> exim.

Dunno how much it helps, but for the rare cases wher Exim's debug is not
quite enough, the 'general case' is to use another server you control,
test white/black/<whatever> rules against that.

A rule that works as expected applied to 'fudge.tld' will ordinarily
port to yahoo.com if you pay attention to detail and any differences.

You can do this safely on an 'internal only' LAN with no risk of exploit
or making enemies on the 'net at large by implementing a local DNS
and/or using /etc/hosts entries to simulate all sorts of good, bad, or
marginal situations. You can even run two Exim instances with different
IP and rulesets on ONE box to-from each other.

Once set up, it is well worth keeping such a rig handy for
pre-production confirmation that any new rule or upgrade will work as
expected.

HTH,

Bill