Re: [exim] Rejecting Recipients at RCPT stage

Author: Zlatko Mesaros
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Rejecting Recipients at RCPT stage
Just one more brief question,

Besides the server that was a subject of previous mails in this thread -
I have two more servers that act as relays (secondary MX)
for the server we were discussing previously.
They have no local deliveries - only relaying.

Essentially everything is fine with them but I would like to ask your
opinion
if the thing I did is right and what the unforeseen consequences might be.

Since the change was implemented in amavis router the secondary servers
started building up queues of messages that were previously,
thanks to lack of checks, delivered straight to primary server.
Now since the messages for non-existent recipients were rejected by
primary -
they got stuck on the secondaries and they attempted to deliver bounce
messages
for them, or freeze them - since bounces didn't go through.

To avoid this - I modified the acl_check_rcpt to read

acl_check_rcpt:
  accept  hosts = :
  deny    local_parts   = ^.*[@%!/|] : ^\\.

  # MODIFIED PART
  deny    !verify        = recipient/callout=2m,defer_ok
  # END MODIFIED PART

  accept  local_parts   = postmaster
          domains       = +local_domains
  require verify        = sender
  accept  domains       = +local_domains
          endpass
          message       = unknown user
          verify        = recipient/callout=2m,defer_ok
  accept  domains       = +relay_to_domains
          endpass
          message       = unrouteable address
          verify        = recipient
  accept  hosts         = +relay_from_hosts
  accept  authenticated = *
  deny    message       = relay not permitted

The servers behave as I would expect them to do.
The output from exim -d+all -bhc .... looks fine,
but still I would like opinion from somebody with a sharper eye / more
experience.

Thanks

Zlatko