Re: [exim] possible bug in the Exim Manual? / Notes in passi…

Autor: Drav Sloan
A: Robert Bannocks
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] possible bug in the Exim Manual? / Notes in passing onLDAP authentication
Robert Bannocks wrote:
> Perplexing. Carefully studying the manuals and the configuration file
> lead me to conclude that the authenticator and the LDAP syntax was
> right. After much I resorted to running exim in debugging mode which
> revealed that the user in question was sending a blank username leading
> to the expansion of
>
> {user="uid=${quote_ldap_dn:$auth2},ou=people,dc=lcu,dc=ac,dc=uk"
> pass=${quote:$auth3}
>
> being:
>
> {user="uid=,ou=people,dc=lcu,dc=ac,dc=uk" pass=${quote:$auth3}
>
> Which is an invalid DN! However as this was invalid Exim was issuing a
> temp error and all the user's mail was sitting
> in his outbox.

I instantly thought of a missing uid when ya first started talking about
the problem. Am I missing the point here? I don't see this is a bug.
After all, if the user doesn't pass a username, how do you know what user to
validate?

Regards

Drav.