Re: [exim] closed connection in response to EHLO

Author: Jeroen van Aart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] closed connection in response to EHLO
Dave Evans wrote:
> Try using a HELO/EHLO name (i.e. helo_data) which doesn't resolve to a private
> IP address (g2.atypon.com => 10.1.1.2). Ideally of course (RFC1123) your

I did try that, "ehlo g2i.atypon.com", but it had the same result:

220 205.161.180.250.electrochem.org ESMTP Howdy and welcome to Electrochem
ehlo g2i.atypon.com
Connection closed by foreign host.

Which made me believe the problem lies at the remote smtp server.
A helo, followed by the usual smtp commands will send an email
successfully. But since the server reports itself as being able to
"speak" ESMTP it should allow the ehlo.

> public IP address will have a PTR record giving your hostname, and that
> hostname will forward-resolve to your IP address, and your helo_data will be
> that hostname.

Configuration of our dns happened way before my time. I am not sure if
anything is configured incorrectly. If exim should ideally report itself
as g2i.atypon.com, then if possible, how would I change that?

Thanks,
Jeroen