Re: [exim] customizing 451 host lookup did not complete

Author: Exim Mailing List
To: exim-users
New-Topics: [exim] straw poll: handling MUA recipient problems(was Re: customizing 451 host lookup did not complete)
Subject: Re: [exim] customizing 451 host lookup did not complete
On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:27:39PM -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:

> > Yep, what he said. Essentially, for MUA submissions, don't reject at ACL
> > time and instead let the routers generate a bounce instead.
>
> I appreciate your thinking, but I don't agree with it. It seems a bit
> extreme just for overcoming this one little problem in Exim (which is
> easily worked around 98% of the time with the method I described). If
> you accept anything from an MUA, you get some undesirable usability
> problems:

That's fine, everyone has different opinions of best practices. Use
whatever works best for you. Every user environment is different.

> 1. It can take a short time for the user to see the bounce (for
> example, if they poll for new messages every 10 minutes). That's too
> bad for someone who sends a message and then heads out the door.
>
> 2. If I send a message to 5 recipients and 1 of them is bad, 4 people
> will get a message with a bad recipient in the headers. When they
> reply, they'll get rejections or bounces. It's subjective, but I think
> most people would like the chance to correct a bad address before the
> message goes to the others.

Depends on your vantage point. I think the majority of our users
would be very annoyed at having their entire message rejected because
a single recipient was mistyped. Explaining to a user that they need
to go to their Outbox and either delete or edit the message that is
trying to resend is much more difficult than telling a user to simply
resend to the persons in the bounce message.

Our users much prefer getting 199 out of 200 recipients delivered when
only a single email address is mistyped instead of rejecting the whole
thing outright.

As far as your original question, about how to override the "host
lookup did not complete" message, I have no idea. The context is
obvious to the MUA (it knows which recipient was just sent and
returned a temporary error). I don't know if there is a way to
override that error message. I doubt there currently is, given that
its not a verification failure, its a deferral.

I would venture most larger Exim installations have local MUA
recipient verification failures generate bounces, so not sure many
people would have run into this before.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???