Re: [exim] Software caused connection abort

Autor: Phil Pennock
A: Randy Bush
CC: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Software caused connection abort
On 2008-02-08 at 17:49 +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> exim-4.68-0 on freebsd current
>
> in the last ten days of logs, i find over 5,200 instances of "Software
> caused connection abort." googling the list says it comes from delaying
> spambots, yet i have no delays at all.
>
> any other clues? i am chasing occasional deliver failures from inside
> google to one of my servers, and one synced with such an entry, if ntp
> is to be trusted.

On FreeBSD, "cd /usr/share/man/man2" followed by "zgrep ECONNABORTED *"
shows that aside from intro(2) and errno(2), there's only one page, so
only one system call explicitly documented as returning this.

accept(2):
     [ECONNABORTED]     A connection arrived, but it was closed while waiting
                        on the listen queue.

It sounds as though your system is a bit overloaded and not accepting
connections fast enough. Does "netstat -aSL" show many connections in
the listen queue?

Anything especially funky in your setup to cause delays?

-Phil