Re: [exim] Accepting messages when recipient fails with a re…

Autor: Oliver von Bueren
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Accepting messages when recipient fails with a re-try later
Phil Chambers wrote:
> It would be much tidier if exim just accepted the message and put it on its own
> queue so that it would get the same (rational) re-try rules that everything
> else gets. I would also control the time after which the user is notified that
> the message is still queued.
>
> Can someone suggest how I should go about this?

Check your ACL conditions in the RCPT case. You most probably have
something like
    verify = recipient
With or without options. This would cause exim to check the address. If
you don't have any verify=recipient in, it will go through without
checking. This is the default I have on my submission port, as MUAs
don't behave very well with SMTP error messages, but it is enabled for
normal SMTP on port 25, which is only for "inbound" traffic anyway,
relaying is only permitted through submission port on my server.

To fix your problem, the removal of this (or multiple) verify=recipient
will do it. But I'd be careful, especially if your Exchange uses the
same mail server as you have for inbound mail! Then you have to make
sure you don't end up being an open relay. The safest bet would be to
use SMTP authentication between your Exchange server and exim and then
skip recipient verification only for that part.

If in doubt, post what you have in your configuration, the relevant
parts of that ACL.

Oliver