[exim] Accepting messages when recipient fails with a re-try…

Author: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Accepting messages when recipient fails with a re-try later
I am stuck with supporting mail from an Exchange server, with exim routing
messages for external recipients.

Sometimes a message arrives with a recipient address where the recipient's
domain generates "host lookup did not complete" and so exim rejects with a
retry-later rejection.

Unfortunately, Exchange re-tries every minute for 3 days!

It would be much tidier if exim just accepted the message and put it on its own
queue so that it would get the same (rational) re-try rules that everything
else gets. I would also control the time after which the user is notified that
the message is still queued.

Can someone suggest how I should go about this?

It would be nice if I could reject outright if the recipient domain gives a
permanent failure. I would also prefer it if no significant delay were added to
messages where the recipient domain is OK. (So, I would prefer not to just
queue everything.)

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter