Re: [exim] Delay when connecting to send mail

Góra strony
Autor: Graeme Fowler
Dla: exim
Temat: Re: [exim] Delay when connecting to send mail
To coin the approach of one W.B.Hacker...

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 13:14 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> A lot of NAT devices can be configured that way.

Can be. Aren't. Won't be.

[sorry, Bill!]

In this case, Yves was experiencing a single problem with a single user
(himself), and had some control over the SMTP part of the equation -
there's no telling (and we don't want to know, Yves!) whether or not
similar levels of control over all possible devices in the chain
existed.

Given that the vast majority of people running an MUA wouldn't know what
RFC1413 or the instructions for their firewall were if you printed them,
rolled them up and hit them with the resulting nice bundle of paper,
getting mass participation in the "play nicely and reject" scenario just
isn't going to happen.

I appreciate that the advice exists, but there's (usually) a much wider
remit when providing an SMTP server than simply one person connecting to
use it as an outbound relay. Setting the appropriate options in Exim's
config makes it not do the lookup in the first place which, considering
(a) the reduction in auth/ident services being run, and (b) the
increasing number of devices which either block or reject ident calls
outright, is the best place to do it. In my opinion.

Graeme