Re: [exim] Delay when connecting to send mail

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Delay when connecting to send mail

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:44:26 +0100 Yves Goergen <nospam.list@???>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> for some time now I've noticed that every time my e-mail programme
> should connect to my mail server to send a message, it takes a few
> seconds while it says "Connecting...". I have no idea what this could
> come from. It happens every time, also when sending mail several times
> in a few minutes. Sending the message itself goes reasonable fast once
> it is connected. Any ideas where to start? Could it be a DNS issue? How
> could I find out?
>
> Here's my environment and configuration:
> Exim version: 4.62 (built from source)
> OS: Debian Linux 3.0
> DB backend: MySQL 5.0 (local server)
> Transport security: TLS
> MUA: Thunderbird 2.0, Windows XP, no firewall, DSL with NAT
> Spam filter: SpamAssassin, but not for authenticated mail like this

There is an ACL modifier 'delay' which can be used to make exim deliberately
put a delay in before an SMTP response. This is an anti-spam measure to
prevent pipelining when it has not been negotiated.

One would normally make the setting conditional on the calling host's IP
address so that it is not applied to connections from your own network.
Perhaps in your case the delay is not conditional.

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter