Re: [exim] Hotmail

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Phil \(Medway Hosting\)
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Exim Users List
Aihe: Re: [exim] Hotmail

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Cooper" <rcooper@???>
To: "'Exim Users'" <exim-users@???>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: [exim] Hotmail

> What is really aggravating about that is that hotmail uses ~all in their

own
> spf records |-{

I actually got through to someone at hotmail on the phone about a year ago
(yes they really DO have the occasional real person there). I had the same
problem and customers were complaining. Basically they flat refused to give
me any indication as to what was wrong with the mails from my server,
although reading between the lines of what he was willing to say, it seems
to boil down to this..............

If 1 email out of 100 from your server has been correctly or unintentionally
reported by hotmail users as being spam, then ALL emails from your server go
into the spam box for a period of time. If 3 are reported as spam (i.e. the
user clicks on the "this is spam" button - which happens to be right next to
the delete button), then you will most likely have problems delivering for a
number of days.

Now I have had a problem (in the past) with one domain that I host. Someone
was maliciously signing up (COI) for a newsletter from the site, and then
reporting ALL their posts as spam. (I know this as I am on the hotmail
feedback loop and after discussion with the site owners, all the
subscriptions came from the same IP). There is nothing that can be done
about this scenario apart from blocking the IP address from signing up. Of
course they then just use a friend's computer to it.

The other thing that M$ actually confirmed to me, is that they block on the
basis of sending email address/domain. YES THAT'S RIGHT - they actually
block on the basis of someone forging your address. That was actually STATED
to me by the guy from M$. THAT is the point at which I realised that there
was absolutely nothing that can be done to help these prats.

All the best

Phil

Website Hosting from only £5.00 per month.
www.medwayhosting.com - +44 (0)1634 856965

Digital & Traditional Printing, and much more
www.medwayprint.com - +44 (0)1634 281199