Re: [exim] Tunning Exim

Author: John Robinson
To: Cleber Picolo
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Tunning Exim
On 24/01/2008 12:21, Cleber Picolo wrote:
> How can i tunning my exim?
> I limited smtp time connection in 5s and limited retry time in 12h..
> There is more anything that can i do?

I'm not sure the above steps are a good idea, you'll end up not
delivering email that way - the first will mean email can't get through
to heavily-loaded servers and those which deliberately answer slowly in
an attempt to confound spammers, the second those that are down for
longer periods.

Exim itself is pretty efficient. The only tuning you can do is to make
sure your lookups are efficient, e.g. use indexed database lookups
instead of lsearch or regexps where there are a lot of records. Another
CPU-saver is avoiding SSL/TLS where it's not necessary.

If your queue gets large, you may benefit from using split spool
directories and trying different queue processing strategies, e.g. tell
exim to run the queue more often, or use cron to start several queue
runners periodically.

Cheers,

John.