[exim] hostslist IP matching and *.example.com

Author: WJCarpenter
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] hostslist IP matching and *.example.com
I think I used to know the answer to this, but I was just looking at
section 10 of the exim spec and didn't find the info I was looking
for. (Treatment of various other things is laid out pretty well, but
not this case.)

If you have a wildcard host name item in a hostlist that needs to
match by IP, is there any forward-DNS checking against the results of
the reverse DNS lookup?

For example, suppose I want to set "tls_advertise_hosts" to
"*.example.com". When a connection comes in, exim can do a reverse
DNS lookup and get an answer like "friend.example.com". It's
obviously not too smart to trust a reverse DNS answer at face value.
Does exim check via forward DNS that "friend.example.com" maps to the
IP address seen on the incoming connection?

Documentation for $sender_host_name lead me to believe the forward DNS
checking is probably done, but it's not conclusive.

Thanks
--
bill-exim@??? (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119