[exim] How does exim (as sender) handle timeouts on large+ r…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] How does exim (as sender) handle timeouts on large+ recipient lists? (was: How to set exim to manage the number of CC or BCC addresses?)
Dave Evans <exim-users-20071221@???> (Di 22 Jan 2008 23:05:41 CET):
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 07:42:49PM +0100, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> > It slows things down, but I do not know, how the sending side would
> > behave with large recipients lists. If after the 30th recipient the delay of
> > 30s is too long for the sender, probably they will cancel the complete
> > transaction, starting over again with the full list some time later.
> >
> > So - writing this, there should be an upper limit (does somebody have
> > the RFC on hand?).
>
> IIRC the RFC states that SMTP clients should wait *at least* 5 minutes for the
> response to MAIL/RCPT, and *at least* 10 minutes for the response to
> end-of-data ("."). See section 4.5.3.2 "Timeouts" of RFC2821.

Ok - so our schema would imply problems starting with 300 recipients, if
there is no overall PREDATA timeout.

Other question was - but probably it's implementation dependend - how
the sender would behave. Does anybody know what exim would do. Restart
the SMTP transfer with agin all 300+ recipients if recipient 300 times
out? Or would exim try to reduce the number of recipients? (feature
request?)

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -