Re: [exim] Configuration file read

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Heiko Schlittermann
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [exim] Configuration file read
Hello Dave,

Dave Stegner <dstegner@???> (Mo 14 Jan 2008 22:51:21 CET):

> I have Exim configured and running.
>
> I modified the configuration to include accepting mail for an additional
> domain.

> If I restart the original Exim process, it will now accept mail for the new
> domain.

A "reload" (SIGHUP) to a running exim should do as well.

> This appears to be inconsistent with the doc statement "Exim uses a single
> run time configuration file that is read whenever an Exim binary is
> executed."

> Is the new process not a run of the binary?

Whenever you connect to a running exim instance it fork(2)s a new
process, this is different from exec(2).

Once you started exim, it read it's config file, each connection creates
a new process, but this is done by forking - the new process shares all
the "knowledge" from its parent in the moment of the fork.

If you really want to automatically read your config file, you shouldn't
start exim as a daemon, but have some *inetd started exim each time a
new connection is required.

The new config will - of course - be read by all independend started
exim instances (e.g.: "exim -bv" for address test, queue runners started
from cron, ...).

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -