Re: [exim] ratelimit and smtp_accept_max_per_connection

Author: Dave Evans
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] ratelimit and smtp_accept_max_per_connection
On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 09:47:53AM +0100, zbigniew szalbot wrote:
> I'd appreciate your advice. I just need to understand what are the
> operational differences between ratelimit and
> smtp_accept_max_per_connection.

smtp_accept_max_per_connection causes Exim to issue a 421 (defer) error code
once the limit is reached. ratelimit is just a condition; its effect depends
on what else you have in your ACL. For example, you could "deny" (probably
not a good idea), or "defer" (probably better), or anything else (drop,
accept, delay, whatever you want).

What will work best in your situation depends on how well-behaved and
compliant the sending MTA is. You might want to investigate whether it
sensibly handles 4xx error codes on connect, HELO, MAIL, or RCPT (e.g. it
might handle defers on connect just fine, but improperly handle defers on SMTP
verbs).

--
Dave Evans
http://djce.org.uk/