Re: [exim] FW: Piping all outgoing mail to a PHP script

Author: Peter Velan
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] FW: Piping all outgoing mail to a PHP script
am 10.01.2008 21:25 schrieb Scott McNaught:
> Thank you for your reply. I have got it working following what you did.
>
> I have a few questions however.
>
> 1) With the router, won't it stop all further routers from being executed?
> There are a few routers below this one, which being an exim novice, I don't
> quite understand what they do.

remove the "no_more" in the router

> 2) I would also like to know if there is much of a performance impact
> re-calling the exim command via shell, and if this is the correct / most
> optimized way to do this?

Can't help with this. I don't "feel" any performance impact, so I did
not see any need to make may setup more performant.

> 3) In your perl script you depend on the header "envelope-from".

Hmm, my script does not depend on envelope-from. The only place where I
wrote about envelope from was in the reinjection: Here I explicitly
*set* an envelope-from to my liking.

> Is there a
> guarantee that "envelope-from" is always set? From my experience, some mail
> clients simply use the "from" header. Does exim always append the
> "envelope-from" header for the stdin of the piped script?

An envelope-from must allways be present, this is a requirement of the
SMTP protocol. The envelope-from have to be a valid <email-address> or a
empty one <>. Anything sending via SMTP and not including MAIL FROM:<..>
is broken.

Cheers,
Peter